Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stepping Out of the Dark Side...


This morning I finished my last ever “required” night shift from UCIMC! I’m so relieved to finally venture into the day“light” and live like a “normal person!!” But yet the feeling is oh so bittersweet. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the principles that this institution has set forth, such as the research basis for patient care and evidence based practice; I just couldn’t juggle the nocturnal lifestyle while pursing my academic goals. I’ll really miss this place! My supervisor and manager were very supportive and accommodating, and my coworkers were some of my first friends that I made in Orange County. I’ll also miss the nursing autonomy that was rightfully respected due to Magnet Hospital recognition, as well as the cohesiveness and willingness to help from my colleagues.

I'm pretty sure that if I would have anywhere else, I would have comfortably settled within my role as a bedside nurse. Instead, Practice Council and NANN involvement have broadened my perspective on how I could better build upon my practice to become a safer RN.


Thanks UCIMC for the great foundation and opportunities.



**And to everyone out there, always appreciate your nocturnal workforce. No matter what anyone says, it is so hard on the body and mind. The lack of true deep rem sleep will leave you discombobulated and even worse, cranky (not to mention, the toll it takes on your skin!). Even if you’re responsibility free and able to squeeze in 6+ hours of “recovery” sleep during the day, you STILL wake up feeling like you have just been up all night! Then there’s the following night off when you’re unable to sleep! So again, appreciate the nocturnal workforce. It’s hard enough having to do your job; but it’s even harder when your body is screaming for a comfy bed.



No comments: