Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paying Respects... RIP Che Still

Yesterday Ron and I drove to Corona and attended the funeral services for my childhood friend, Charles "Che" Still. Che had been in the plane crash that critically injured Travis Barker and DJ AM while claiming the lives of 3 others. I remember reading about the crash the day it happened, but was unaware that Che was involved until later that night when myspace bulletins started pouring in seeking confirmation as to whether or not Che was one of the four that perished. News articles mentioned that a "Charles Still, 25 of Los Angeles, CA" had died, but we had all hoped and prayed that it wasn't Che. My heart sank when the truth settled in the next day.

You see, this has been a year of loss. First my dog Stitch at the beginning of year, then my Lolo (Grandpa) Roding, followed by my brother's good friend Kevin Hickman, then four of my coworkers losing two moms, a dad and a nephew, to Riverside's Harvest pastor losing his son in a car crash, and now this. I couldn't believe how much loss, sorrow, and mourning has occured in the past 9 months of 2008. I really hope that this is it for this year...

Initially, I contemplated about whether or not to attend Che's services. We had lost touch in high school when he decided to attend Centennial instead of La Sierra. Even though we'd see each other during high school games, it still felt sort of awkward. But something inside of me felt so strongly about paying my respects. Besides, this was a last goodbye. Even at a such a young age, I knew Che was genuinely a good person at heart. He was kind, loyal, and most importantly, a dependable individual. He fit the definition of what it was to be a great friend and it didnt surprise me one bit when others at the funeral described him in the same fashion. I was only 12 when I met him at Arizona Intermediate (representing track A!!) but I'll never forgot that warm personality he possessed. We kept in touch briefly during our post high school years (thanks to myspace) and you couldnt help but appreciate the fact (atleast in this situation) that some people just never change. Even when he befriended Travis Barker, it didnt change the person that he was deep down inside.

I'm glad I was able to pay my respects. I realized it was silly to feel awkward because the whole point of a funeral is to pay your respects, say your final goodbyes, and most importantly celebrate someone's life and thank them for crossing your path. You never forget a great person or how they impacted your lives. It's just so sad that many good people meet with their Creators so suddently (RIP also to Leo Lydon). I just hope that when my time comes, that I've atleast made half the positive impact on my loved ones the way Che and Leo made on theirs. If there's one thing I realized, (and this is coming from the remarks of one of Che's guests) its that death doesnt care about anybody. You need to accept all your regrets and move on. Any beef you have with your friends or family needs to be squashed, because tomorrow you could be in that casket. Just remember... death doesnt care about anybody...

Rest In Paradise Friends. Till we meet again.

No comments: