Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day!

Ever since I was old enough to participate in an election vote four years ago, I made it my privileged right and duty to vote in person, whenever I could. There was something deeply patriotic about physically walking into a polling location and casting my vote behind a screen. This year I knew had to resort to an absentee ballot because Tuesday was a school day. A looong school day at that. But for some unknown reason, I never got my absentee ballot. As a normal Tuesday routine, Ron and I left La Habra at 5:00am to beat the LA traffic. My last class didn't end til 7pm and my home polling place was said to close at 8pm. I asked my instructor for permission to leave at 6:30pm and she gladly urged that I do so. Despite the earlier departure from UCLA, Ron and I made it home 10 minutes before our polling place closed. All that scrambling to exercise my right and let my voice be heard!! And yet, I still ponder as to why many Americans could care less about voting when only a few decades ago, this very right was denied to all women and minorities... Again, voting isn't an obligation nor a right, it's a privilege!! But I'll get off that soap box now that the election is over...

In all honesty, I didn't vote for Barack Obama (although I didn't have a doubt that he'd win). With a militaristic family of uncles and grandpa, I had strongly been influenced to be a Republican all my life. But I can say that I am quite impressed with the man. Although I was very skeptic about his experience, I must credit him for being a charismatic orator, whose very image yells out "hope," dreams," and of course, "change." It's amazing to think how far America has come and "grown up," and to also realize that we all witnessed a day that would be told in school teachings and government class from this day forward.

As for John McCain, I feel bad for the man-- but I generally feel bad for anybody that loses. I remember that feeling of losing in an ASB election in 7th grade, and although I was only a pip-squeak, losing really just sucks. McCain's concession speech was very heart felt. You can't help but toss your hat up in respect for a man who served and loved his country the way he did.

Anyways, Barack Obama is obviously entering the White House during a bad time-- inheriting two wars and a financial crisis is to say the least! I am optimistic to all his new and fresh ideas in reshaping America. I just hope that he's able to do it all and fix the mess that was left for him.

1 comment:

Gary said...

I couldn't vote republican for the mess they got us into and Sarah Palin was and still is a joke.